The Albemarle Woman's Club began a library in 1915 that was presented to the town of Albemarle in 1916. It became the Stanly County Public Library on July 1, 1927, and was housed in the Albemarle Hotel. In 1939, the library was moved to a new county building adjacent to the courthouse. The library now consists of a main library, four branch libraries, extension services provided by a library van, and a web site for electronic access to library resources.
The library has been a department of Stanly County Government since 1975 and is governed by the Board of Commissioners. The Library Board of Trustees is an advisory board appointed by the Commissioners to represent various geographical areas of the county. In addition, there is an active Friends of the Library organization which provides volunteers, funds and support for library activities.
The Friends of the Stanly County Public Library was formed in 1992 as a non-profit organization to provide support for the Stanly County Public Library. Friends promote public support and use of the library, inform members and the public of issues affecting the library, assist the library in increasing literacy in Stanly County, and sponsor special events such as author events and workshops, two book sales per year and library programs such as the Children's Summer Reading Program and the Adult Reading Program.
They also donate books, materials and equipment to the library. Above all, they provide many hours of volunteer service for library activities.
To join the Friends, return the completed Friends Membership Application form to the library.